Nothing is more annoying than tangling hair extensions. In this short blog post, we will share with you effective methods to detangle hair extensions. Detangling requires a certain process, the right tools, and some patience on your part. Although there are numerous procedures for removing the knots, your first move should be to prevent the mess from happening through proper care.
Dampen the extension using water or a leave in conditioner, use your fingers to ‘comb’ through the hair.
Wash using a hydrating hair shampoo. or conditioner
Apply the conditioner and remove the tangles gently using a wide-tooth comb.
For smaller knots, opt for a tail comb working tenderly through the loops.
The conditioner will help you loosen the knots so it won’t be necessary to apply too much pressure.
Comb the hair extensions nightly. This good habit will ensure that your hair extensions will not become tangled.
- Wash with sulfate-free (sulfate creates the suds) shampoo and conditioner.
- Allow the conditioner to sit longer if the hairpiece is all messed up.
- Keep the extensions on a flat surface to avoid twisting
- With permanent hair extensions, remember to always braid your hair before sleeping with the extensions.
- Avoid detangling dry pieces since this practice causes hairline fractures and flaking.
- Wash with a hydrating shampoo.
- Rinse well and leave no bubbles behind.
- Choose a brush with wide paddles for both dry and wet wigs because it is ideal for smoothing your hair and removing the curls. Never use the brush or comb with fine teeth. Otherwise, you will damage the hairpiece.
- In the case of clip in extensions, don’t sleep with them. It will be really uncomfortable!
Use of Conditioners
Treating hair extensions with detangling conditioner makes removal of knots easy.
Massage the conditioner lightly and wash with clean cool or lukewarm water.
Another option is the leave-in variety that also hydrates your locks rather than the rinse-out type.
Spray the substance gently on the hairpiece after washing and massage into the hair especially the knotted portions.
Detangle hair extensions
- Split your natural hair from glue-in or sew-in hair extensions using a clip, or else you can cause more damage to your hair along with the extensions.
- Separate the extension into tiny sections before starting to untangle to minimize yanking.
- You can partition clip-in varieties into individual weaves.
- Divide the bigger wefts into two or three portions for hassle-free straightening.
- It is possible to detangle the extensions with slightly tangled hair using your fingers. The method is more soothing compared to a brush or comb. Work through the strands carefully until you are able to get rid of the knots.
- Hold the hairpiece right above tangles. Do not pull the hair extensions to avoid ruptures. Begin untangling from the bottom.
- You will need to go through the whole hair, begin at the top or underside but remove small portions one at a time to prevent ruining the hairpiece.
Brush and Braid
- Brush the extension on a regular basis. Brush the hair extensions up to three times daily to prevent knots.
- Braid your hairpiece. Loose hair will most possibly tangle. Braiding is the best prevention technique.
- Stay away from alcohol-based styling formulas. Use the same styling products that you use on your natural hair. Alcohol makes the hairpiece more susceptible to dryness and tangles. Instead, moisturize hair extensions with light oils and keep them well-hydrated.
- Massage the light oil once every week. This kind of oil includes castor, coconut, jojoba, olive, and argan.
- Apply oil daily if you prefer sewn or glue-in products.
— Canada Hair (@CanadaHair) February 18, 2018
The Right Oils
- Argan oil is said to be beneficial for real and synthetic hair. There are numerous brands in the market so it is up to you in making a selection.
- Try to keep your hair a bit moist and oily (only the mid lengths and ends, not roots) using a natural serum in between washing sessions that transform dull-looking into the silky hair.
- Do not use heavy oils that may lead to the build-up of residue.
- Another option is to create a DIY concoction made up of six oils (Argan, Castor, Coconut, Sweet Almond, Watermelon, and Wheat Germ). Put all these ingredients into a 4-ounce amber bottle. Heat slightly on top of hot bowl of water and shake vigorously. The untangling oil mix is ready for use.
- Put some of the formulae on your palm and massage on the parts separately.
- Additionally, it is advisable to remove tangles right away after you see them. Do not wait too long before untwisting the knots. Examine your extension thoroughly after each use.
A Concluding Word
Make sure to take care of these valuable accessories like your real hair and consult a stylist immediately if a serious problem develops.
Where to buy hair extensions?
Are you looking for a reliable place to buy hair extensions in Canada? CanadaHair.ca is the ultimate solution in this regard and it offers you all the features and benefits that you might want!